Sunday, December 7, 2014

Day 117 Nov 28 2014 Puno Peru

floating islands of Lake Titicaca

display showing how island is made

waiting to go for a ride in a reed boat

not a place i would want to live

the reed boat in action

Day 117  Nov 28 2014  Puno Peru

I woke up with a headache and took a couple of ibuprophen followed by a cup of coca tea, which took care of the problem.   We had breakfast in the apartment and waited for  the rain to stop.  Once the skies cleared we walked to the dock to catch a boat to Uros which is a community built on floating islands of reeds.  The houses were one room shacks built out of reeds as were the beds and traditional boats.  It was interesting to see but I would not want to live there.  I did not see any toilets so can only assume all waste goes into the lake where I can only assume the drinking water also comes from.    The boat that we took to the islands was equipped with a toilet that had it drain pipe leading right outside the boat.  I wish I had seen the sanitary conditions before I stuck my hand in the water to see how cold it was.  When we got back to the apartment it was lightning over the lake and the kids and I watched an amazing lightning show, one strike in particular was very interesting with at least 6 separate bolts striking the ground at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment